Sunday, June 8, 2008

Gardenia

I've listened to this song many many times over the past few months.

Gardenia, written by Mandy Moore and Chantel Kreviazuk (performed by MM, though I think CK would also have done a bang-up job if she had performed it herself.)

It's acoustic and melancholy and beautiful, and it resonates with how I've been feeling for a long time.

I tried to post just a portion of the lyrics, but it didn't seem to fit. Then I figured, "Hey, it's my blog. I can do whatever the hell I want."

So here it is.

Well, I put so much thought into getting ready
Now I know that was the best part
It's so easy to get caught up in what I'm regretting
Forget what I got from a wounded heart

I'm the one who likes Gardenia
I'm the one who likes to make love on the floor
I don't want to hang up the phone yet
It's been good
Getting to know me more

I've been seeing all my old friends in the city
Walking alone in Central Park
Doing all the things that I've neglected
Traded 'em all in
To be in your arms

I'm the one who likes Gardenia
I'm the one who likes to make love on the floor
I don't want to hang up the phone yet
It's been good
Getting to know me more


Well, I hear my own voice
It sounds so silly
Keep on telling my story all around
Everything I lost ain't so different
Well, this is how everybody gets found

I'm the one who likes Gardenia
I'm the one who likes to make love on the floor
I don't want to hang up the phone yet
It's been good
Getting to know me more


This song reminds me to hold on to the lessons I've learned. Mostly lessons about myself, and my life. How I live it. How I want to live it. Who I want to live it with. What that would look like to me. But mostly, that I can get through it, and come out the other side happy. And to always remember that "pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding".

No comments: