Wednesday, June 18, 2008

And the government makes me scream. Again.

This one is a doosey: The government of Ontario has now banned people from smoking in cars when there are children under the age of 16 in the car.

I honestly don't know what the world is coming to.

Do I think people should smoke in cars with children in the car too? No.

But more than that, the government does not have the right to tell me what I can and can't do in my own car. I don't even need to extend this argument - we can see where this is going.

I am not a smoker. I have smoked in my life, and I probably will again here and there, but by all definitions, I am not a smoker. I would never smoke in my car. I would NEVER smoke around children, in my car or otherwise. But I feel for smokers on this one. I really do.

The government has made it impossible to be a smoker. You can't smoke in the mall. You can't smoke in restaurants. You can't smoke in bars, or clubs, or public bathrooms. You can't smoke on a plane, a train, and now, even your own automobile.

But, you can smoke. Smoking, not illegal. And yet, smoking - illegal. They won't ban it, but they won't let you smoke anywhere. NOT IN YOUR OWN CAR. Nothing is more ridiculous.

No comments: